Keeping Your Kids Safe & Healthy at Camp This Summer
Camp is a great way for your kids to be active and social during the summer, but while they’re away from home you’ll want to make sure that they stay safe and healthy. By talking to your kids about camp safety before they leave and making sure you speak with the camp counselors about their safety policies and medical resources, you can have more peace of mind that your children will enjoy a healthy and rewarding camp experience.
Below are some points to keep in mind when speaking to your children and counselors about camp safety:
- Sun protection – Pack plenty of sunscreen in your child’s bags and remind him or her how important it is to apply it liberally at the beginning of each day. Make sure the counselors will be overseeing the campers’ use of sunscreen, including reapplications if the children are swimming or sweating.
- Hydration – Remind your kids to drink water whenever they have a break from activities, even if they don’t feel thirsty. Confirm with the counselors that cool, clean water will be available for the children throughout the day.
- Water safety – Check with the camp’s director to make sure that all counselors are certified in CPR and other first aid techniques, and make sure that a certified life guard will be on duty during all water activities.
- Special needs – If your child has any special needs, allergies, or is on any medications, make sure to give the camp director, counselors, and the staff nurse or doctor a detailed list with all of this information.
- Emergency care – Find out what emergency procedures are in place at the camp and what hospital a camper would be taken to if any emergency were to occur. Also, confirm that the camp has all relevant contact phone numbers for you or those for any friends or family members who can serve as emergency contacts.
For more tips on staying healthy this summer and throughout the rest of the year, please see South Tampa Immediate Care’s full list of online health articles. If you have any questions about the medical services offered at our walk-in clinic, including physicals for camp, school, and sports, please contact us today.