Tips from South Tampa Immediate Care on Getting Health Treatment Abroad
If you plan on traveling outside the U.S., it’s important to have a plan in place in case you need medical care during your trip. Not only can it be a nuisance to put your sightseeing on hold to deal with the technicalities of getting treatment abroad, but it can be downright dangerous to be caught unaware while you’re far from home. South Tampa Immediate Care would like to offer a few tips to help you and your family prepare for your journey:
- If you have health insurance, be sure to find out how much, if any, coverage you have while traveling abroad. If you do have coverage, ask what documentation you will need to file your claim once you return home.
- Consider investing in a travel insurance policy. Policy rates will vary based on the area that you are traveling to, the activities you plan on undertaking there, your current level of health, and whether you have any pre-existing conditions.
- Do your research. Before you leave for your trip, find out what types of medical facilities you will have access to. This is especially important if you will be traveling to a remote region or an underdeveloped country.
- Confer with your primary care physician here at home to find out if you need any vaccinations prior to traveling. If you have a pre-existing health condition, ask for a letter from your doctor that details how to handle the condition in case of an emergency.
- Monitor the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s travel information (wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel) to stay on top of any health notices pertaining to the region that you will be traveling to.
For more tips on staying healthy while traveling or while enjoying activities right here in Florida, please browse our full list of online health articles. You can also contact us to learn more about the services we offer to residents of and visitors to the Tampa Bay area.