How to Eliminate Burn Hazards from Your Home – Advice from the Doctors at South Tampa Immediate Care

how-to-eliminate-burn-hazards-from-homeResidential fires and burns are leading causes of injuries and fatalities in the United States, and these tragedies cost many more people their valued possessions and memories. The most effective way to protect your family and your home from fire is to identify and eliminate burn hazards from your household. The following simple steps can go a long way toward preventing and surviving a fire in your home:

  • Install the recommended number of UL-labeled smoke detectors for your home, test them at least once a month, and replace the batteries at least twice a year.
  • Never leave a stove, oven, space heater, electric blanket, or fireplace unattended when in use.
  • Do not wear long-sleeved garments while cooking
  • Keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen.
  • Do not burn candles; instead, enjoy battery-operated flameless alternatives.
  • Clean the dryer lint trap after every use.
  • To avoid the possibility of breakage, do not stretch or bend electrical cords, and keep them out from under rugs and safely away from foot traffic areas. Replace frayed or damaged wires immediately.
  • Turn off appliances, including entertainment systems, when not in use.
  • Do not overload electrical outlets or use power strips with multiple high-wattage appliances.
  • If you have small children, purchase and use safety coverings for all electrical outlets.
  • Store chemicals, paint, gasoline, and other flammable substances outside the house in UL-approved containers.
  • Teach your children to never play with matches, lighters, or fireworks. Eliminate the mystery surrounding fire by showing them that it is a tool, not a toy.
  • Develop and practice an escape plan, and designate a meeting spot outside the home. Each family member should know how to safely exit the house from any room. Practice with a stopwatch and challenge your family to get out faster each time. 

Even small fires can spread out of control very quickly, so there is never time to gather belongings or make a phone call. In addition, heat and smoke can be more dangerous than the flames themselves. In the event of a fire in your home, get out, stay out, and call 9-1-1 immediately.

For additional family safety tips, please browse our online series of articles. If you have questions or experience a burn, feel free to contact or visit the South Tampa Immediate Care walk-in clinic.