How to Have a Better Relationship With Your Physician
If you’ve ever left a physician’s appointment with more questions than answers, you’re not alone. While this is undoubtedly frustrating for you, consider that it can be equally frustrating to a physician who wants to ensure that all of your concerns are addressed.
The key to making the most out of your office visits is fostering a collaborative relationship with your physician. Here are some ways to do so:
- Prepare in advance. When you schedule an appointment, you’ll likely have at least one main issue on your mind. Take a few minutes beforehand to jot down some notes about your symptoms, concerns, and anything else you’d like to discuss with your physician. Your time together will be limited, and this can help you make the most of it.
- Limit your research. While it can be tempting – and sometimes useful – to consult Dr. Google, keep in mind that the information you find online will not be tailored to your unique situation. Also, pay close attention to your sources. There are a lot of inaccuracies out there.
- Arrive a few minutes early. You can check in with the office staff, ask any questions you have about insurance coverage or related matters, and then have a quiet moment to relax and mentally prepare for your appointment.
- Be honest. Your physician will never judge you or expect perfection. Therefore, you should feel comfortable putting everything out on the table. If you feel anxious and find yourself holding back as a result, tell your physician (or, if necessary, find a new one). Clear and candid communication is essential to building a rapport, which will ultimately result in better health care.
- Partner with your physician. Remember, you are an integral member of your own treatment team. Your physician can make recommendations and provide guidance, but the decisions are ultimately up to you.
At South Tampa Immediate Care, a strong partnership between providers and patients is at the core of everything we do. We firmly believe that we can provide the best possible health care by working together with our patients. If you’d like to see a physician, stop by our walk-in clinic in Tampa, FL, today.