The Benefits of a Daily HIIT Workout
High intensity interval training, or HIIT, is an exercise technique that involves “going all out” with a fast and intense burst of activity followed by a brief period of rest. The goal is to raise the heart rate and keep it up in order to burn more fat in less time than would be possible by engaging in regular exercise. HIIT is one of today’s fastest-growing fitness trends, and you might be wondering what it’s all about and whether it’s right for you.
Here are some of the benefits of a daily HIIT workout:
- Increased metabolism – Intense exertion creates an oxygen shortage within the body, and thus increases the body’s need for oxygen both during and after a workout. This effect, known as afterburn or hyperdrive, can burn more fat and calories than steady aerobic exercise.
- No loss of muscle mass – While regular cardiovascular activity can result in the loss of muscle along with fat, HIIT preserves muscle by targeting stored fat.
- Efficiency – Due to the fact that HIIT is so quick, a workout can be easily squeezed into a busy schedule.
- Convenience – Because HIIT utilizes only the body’s weight, no special equipment is needed. Therefore, workouts can be performed virtually anywhere – at home, at work, in a hotel room, at a gym, or outdoors.
- Fast results – Research shows that a quick 10-minute HIIT routine can burn more calories than 30 minutes on a treadmill, and two weeks of HIIT can enhance an exerciser’s aerobic capacity just as much as six to eight weeks of endurance training.
HIIT offers veteran exercisers a new challenge, and new exercisers a way to achieve fast results. Of course, before starting any new exercise program, it’s always best to consult with a physician. If you get a go-ahead to work out and you’re ready to try HIIT, be sure to give 100 percent effort during the high-intensity interval. Then, repeat your routine every day, or every other day, with the goal of completing it faster each time.
To learn more, or if you would like to consult with a physician about your exercise program or for any other reason, please contact or visit South Tampa Immediate Care, where you can see a doctor at our walk-in clinic today.